Most clients fly into OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg or Cape Town International Airport and then on to Port Elizabeth airport, where they will be met by our Professional hunters, and escorted to our main lodge. From the USA ,flights arrive daily from Atlanta,Washington and JFK using South African Airways and Delta. Both destinations have daily connecting flights to Port Elizabeth. Clients can also use Lufthansa and fly into Germany with a 6-8 hour layover, and then continue to Johannesburg. A valid passport is needed to enter South Africa, but no VISA’s are required.
We do recommend travel insurance in the unlikely event of something happening.
GLOBAL RESCUE MEMBERSHIPS:
When you travel, chances are good that your personal medical insurance won’t bring you home or get you the emergency medical care you need. Global Rescue will. Leopard’s Valley Safaris works hard to ensure you have a safe and exhilarating experience while on your hunt, but unavoidable incidents unfortunately do happen. Make sure you’re covered by the premier crisis response provider before you travel. Global Rescue is the world’s premier provider of medical & security advisory and evacuation services. Any time you have an illness or injury requiring hospitalization or face imminent bodily harm more than 100 miles from home, Global Rescue will reach you, stabilize you and bring you home, by whatever means necessary.
- Medical evacuations to your choice of hospital in your home country
- Emergency field rescue services from remote areas anywhere in the world
- Medical consultations by specialists at Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Deployable paramedics and security personnel to your location
- Non-medical evacuations for security emergencies or cases of imminent grievous bodily harm
- 24/7 Operations Center staffed by paramedics and special operations personnel for instant medical and security advice
- Access to real time city and country political & medical intelligence
?Global Rescue memberships are all-inclusive and have no deductibles or hidden costs. Memberships are available in short term, single-trip options or annual plans protecting all travels, both domestic and international. Standard Trip Insurance is an important financial planning instrument but is not designed to provide immediate emergency services. Although some trip insurance programs claim to offer medical evacuations and repatriations, the benefits are written with extensive limits and are designed more for reimbursement than timely emergency action. Would you rather a critical care paramedic backed by Johns Hopkins or an insurance claims adjuster answer the phone during your emergency? Leopard’s Valley Safaris strongly recommends that you purchase a Global Rescue membership to protect yourself and your family when the next emergency occurs. Visit www.globalrescue.com/leopardsvalley/ or call +1-617-459-4200 to learn more.
Global Rescue Signature Travel Insurance
For more than a decade, Global Rescue has provided unparalleled response and evacuation services to travelers around the world. From minor medical issues to life-threatening situations, Global Rescue’s critical services have been there when they were needed most. Travelers have trusted Global Rescue’s medical and security travel services since 2004, and now you can secure the value of your entire trip with Global Rescue’s Signature Travel Insurance.
Global Rescue and IMG have created one of the industry’s most complete travel insurance products, integrating Global Rescue’s advisory and evacuation services with the financial protection of a comprehensive travel insurance program. Available exclusively to Global Rescue members, Signature Travel Insurance guarantees that a trip abroad is covered no matter what happens.
- Trip cancellation insured up to $100,000
- Trip interruption insured up to 150% of trip cost insured
- Up to $2,500 for lost luggage/baggage delay
- $100,000 emergency medical/dental coverage
- $100,000 common carrier AD&D coverage
- Up to $2,500 for sports equipment rental
- Cancel-for-any-reason coverage 75% of trip cost
- Interrupt-for-any-reason coverage 75% of trip cos
Signature Travel Insurance policies start at just $20. We strongly recommend that you learn more about Global Rescue’s Signature Travel Insurance by visiting https://globalrescue.com/leopardsvalley/ or calling +1 (617) 459-4200.
About Global Rescue
Global Rescue employs hundreds of personnel, including numerous military special operations veterans, in multiple locations around the world. We bring our members to safety, even if they’re far from civilization or in a dangerous environment. We have performed more than 10,000 missions, bringing members from danger or injury to safety and comfort. When a member is injured or sick, Global Rescue’s medical advisory services offer clear answers and smart advice about what to do next.
A great fishing trip shouldn’t involve stress and worry if something goes wrong. A Global Rescue membership will give you the comfort of knowing that no matter what happens, you’re getting home safely.
Global Rescue memberships start at $119, with annual memberships for only $329. Full family memberships are also available.
Global Rescue memberships include:
- Medical evacuation services to your home country hospital of choice
- Field Rescue services from the point of injury or illness
- TotalCareSM – 24/7 access to board-certified physicians, clinicians and specialists from Elite Medical Group and the Johns Hopkins Emergency Medicine Division of Special Operations
- Face-to-face video consultations and advice about your diagnosis
- Prescriptions, lab work, diagnostic imaging
- Help determining the best possible treatment options
- Security extraction services from natural disasters, civil unrest and hostile environments
- Integrated mobile app technology for video consultation, GPS tracking and global intelligence reports
Visit https://globalrescue.com/leopardsvalley/ or call +1 (617) 459-4200 to learn how to enroll.
We recommend the services of the following agents to assist in all Rifle importation services. There services include Rifle permits and meet and greet at the airports.
- HENRY DURRHEIM: www.riflepermits.com
IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE THE SERVICES OF A FIREARMS IMPORT AGENCY then this is what is needed for importing your rifle on your own.
* Henry Durrheim need the following documents at the latest 25 days prior to your arrival.
(Please note item regarding handguns, semi-automatic firearms and applications for persons under the age of 21, where applications need to reach us at least 35 days before arrival).
A. Form SAP520: (Will be supplied)
ONLY the following sections need to be completed (use black ink):
Page 2 – Sections E 2.1 to E 24 (Natural person’s details)
Page 2 - Section 25 if you are married
Page 4 – Sections G1 to G 5 & G 8 to G 9.2 (Import/Export details)
Page 5 –Sections I 1.1 to 2.2 (Details of firearms etc.)
Page 6 – Section J (Signature of applicant)
B. Notarized copy of Applicants’ passport - page on which the photo and passport details are reflected.
C. Notarized copy of Proof of ownership of firearm, eg. legal licence, permit, certificate, authorization or any other documentary proof confirming lawful possession of the firearm:
Examples of documentation to proof ownership:
- USA: Custom Form 4457 (contact your nearest airport for this)
- UK, etc: Copy of your firearm License or Certificate
- Europe: Firearms Possession Licence (Waffenbesitzkarte)
- European Firearms Pass (Europaeischer Feuerwaffenpass)
- Other: A letter from your local sheriff or Police office in the form of an affidavit confirming ownership or Invoice from a gun shop where you have purchased the firearm
D. Copy of flight itinerary from airline or travel agent
E. Copy of Invitation letter from Leopard’s Valley Safaris (will be supplied)
BASIC REGULATIONS AND RESTRICTIONS FOR THE ISSUING OF A TEMPORARY IMPORT
A. Maximum of four (4) firearms or shotguns per applicant.
B. Not more than one of the same calibre or gauge.
C. Only 200 rounds for each permitted firearm or shotgun will be allowed.
D. No ammunition for other firearms (not accompanying you) is permitted.
E. Firearms must bear the manufacturer’s serial number or any other mark by which the firearm can be identified. The identification number must be stamped and the mark affixed in the prescribed manner on the barrel, the frame or the receiver of the firearm.
(Subject to pre-approval only: documents must reach us at least 35 days prior to arrival)
A. Handguns are allowed into the country for hunting purposes only and therefore you need to submit the following additional documentation:
- A letter of invitation from the outfitter stating the handgun will be used for hunting purposes only;
- A motivational letter from you stating that you will be using the handgun for hunting purposes only and any other relevant motivation.
B. Semi-Automatic shotguns:
- A letter of motivation from you must be submitted, stating the reason/s for bringing it into the country.
C. Any person under the age of 21 that wishes to apply for a temporary import permit has to include a motivational letter with the application proving that he/she is a capable hunter. Any additional motivational letters from third parties will help with the application.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT FACTS TO TAKE NOTE OF:
A. Should a firearm not be declared on arrival and a temporary import permit not issued, you will face severe penalties and possible arrest if detected.
B. Ensure that your firearms arrive on the same flight as you do. Contact all airline company/ie for the different sectors of your flight before making reservations, for their regulations regarding transport of firearms and ammunition.
Carriage of ammunition:
Certain airlines require the ammo to be packed in a separate locked container.
We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in a lockable case which can be checked in with the firearm(s) to avoid possible delays during checked baggage screening.
Ammunition should not be packed in checked baggage or in the gun case.
C. Your firearm/s may only be signed for by yourself.
It will not be released to any other person.
In the event of it arriving on a separate flight, the firearm/s will be held by the SAPS until such time as you claim ownership in person.
D. The temporary import permit serves as your firearm license in South Africa.
It enables you to buy ammunition in South Africa for the calibres noted on the permit.
E. You must have the temporary import permit on your person at all times while you are in possession of your firearms.
F. The firearm/s MUST be locked in a firearm safe when you are not using it.
G. We recommend that you allow at least 3 hours between landing and your connecting flight.
H. In-Transit Permits are required for any person spending the night in South Africa while in-transit to a third country. The same pre-requisites apply as to obtain the normal Temporary Import permit.
It is your responsibility to check with your airline company on departure if your luggage and firearm(s) will be checked through to your final destination, when you are connecting to a third country on the same day.
ARRIVING AT OTHER PORTS
e.g. CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT OR OTHER PORTS OF ENTRY
A. Procedures and costs as above, except that there will be no meet and greet facility.
B. The temporary import permit will be couriered to you before your departure to South Africa
Please contact Henry Durrheim or the PHASA office if you have any queries concerning the temporary importation of your firearms.
WHAT TO PACK
Bring the rifle you shoot with everyday no need to buy a new one.
See special import requirements for semi-automatic or handguns.
For African Plains game, I personally prefer the .270, 30/06, 7 mm Magnum, .300 Winchester, .300 Winchester Magnum with variable power scope with a 3x9 power magnification. If Eland is on your list, then I recommend the .300 Winmag and larger.
80 rounds soft point, Barnes X or Trophy bonded ammunition. Loads from 160 - 220 grains depending on the calibre. Just remember that an expensive safari can be ruined by cheap ammunition.
Hard gun case (Airline approved)
Soft gun case (for everyday travelling)
A firearm import custom paper (SAP 520 form) will be sent to you prior to the hunt. This will act as your firearm licence while in country and needs to be with the firearm at all times.
Rifle sling, we specialise in walk and stalk hunting.
.375 H & H Magnum, .458 Winchester Magnum, .416 Remington, etc. With variable power scope, 1,5x4, 2x7, etc. are minimum rifle requirements for BIG 5 or Dangerous 6, including Hippo.
20 rounds premium soft point ammunition. I recommend Barnes X.
20 rounds solid ammunition
Hard gun case (Airline approved)
Soft gun case
- 4 pair pants, cotton safari type in dark khaki or green, or jeans if preferred.
- 4 hunting shirts in dark khaki or green or camo.
- 1 lightweight hunting jacket in dark khaki or green or camo.
- 1 heavy jacket during June, July and August
- 1 hunting hat (we can supply in cap and hat)
- 4 sets of underwear and socks
- 1 belt
- 1 pair light weight hunting boots (well broken in for you will do a lot of walking)
- 1 safari vest - this is very handy, but optional
- Camo may be worn in South Africa
- Washing is done daily
- 1 folding knife
- 1 rifle shell holder
- Sun glasses
- 2 Cameras
- Medication (see your doctor) - this area is malaria and bilharzia free, so no special shots are needed. Don’t forget your everyday medication prescribed by your doctor. Make sure you have enough for the duration of your stay, stored in 2 separate places, one in checked bags and one in carry on.
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Extra prescription glasses
- Travel documents
- Gun permits from Leopard’s Valley
- Proof of gun ownership document (US hunters form 4457)
- Invitation letter from Leopard’s Valley
- Reading material
- Airline tickets
- Money: Cash (We unfortunately do not accept travellers cheques)
- Medical records to refill prescriptions
- Make sure you have filled out all the paperwork and faxed or e-mailed it back to us
- The signed agreement is important as well as the general info. (Make 2 copies of everything and keep in separate places with personal medication)
- Travel Insurance, including medical
- You can contact us at any time if you have any questions. See contact page for details.